Trying to lose weight during the holidays can get a little discouraging. However, I am reminded that we should strive for progress not perfection, and that helps me smile. Rather than struggling to adhere to strict guidelines, we simply need to try to improve in small ways.
- Drink one more glass of water.
- Eat an extra serving of vegetables.
- Go to bed a little earlier or take a nap.
- Consume less processed food.
- Take your vitamins.
- Increase your exercise (time, repetitions, or intensity).
- Smile more.
- Go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air and holiday decorations.
- Choose better foods (brown rice over white rice, whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta, spinach over iceberg lettuce, sweet potatoes over russet potatoes, …)
- Give thanks, for your loved ones, your blessings, and your journey thus far.
And the list goes on.
Remember that developing a healthier lifestyle is more like a marathon than a sprint. It can be overwhelming at times, but if we simply focus on taking one step at a time, we can cover the same distance.
Doing the little, even tiny, things CAN make a difference.
So rather than worrying about being perfect this holiday season, just try to do one thing better than yesterday. If you focus on this, you can enjoy the season, feel good about yourself, and continue making progress on your weight loss journey.